Wednesday 4 May 2011

Bearnaise Sauce - Nigel Slater

No visitors. No dinner parties. No daughter! Just me and A. I really didn't feel like doing much for dinner but I am on a mission after all.  I settled on steak (easy and tasty) and decided to make bearnaise sauce.

I love bearnaise sauce.  In fact I probably miss the taste of a good steak as I eat so much of the stuff.  I always stock up on jars of bearnaise from France.  I have tried budget brands and more expensive brands and I love 'em all!

I have always avoided making bearnaise sauce as it has such a potential to go wrong.

I picked the first recipe I found in my search - from Nigel Slater's 'Real Cooking'.  So much butter!!!!!!!!!!!




Anyway one of the points of this blog is not just cooking from my endless recipe books, but also following the recipe properly in terms of ingredients and instructions - and this I definitely did for bearnaise sauce.

Did I say - so much butter?????!!!!!

I read, re-read and read again the instructions and pleased to say that the sauce did not curdle, did not cook and thickened nicely.  I used a very small whisk thinking that would be more effective for a shallow sauce but eventually swapped it for a normal size balloon whisk which did speed things up.


        

  


Comments:
- prepare all the ingredients and utensils
- read the instructions properly as you have to be careful
- the recipe was for two, but we had half left over - and I ate loads

- A loved it but I'm not sure.  I didn't think the tarragon flavour was strong enough.  It tasted stronger the next day when we had the rest on poached eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment