Tuesday 9 August 2011

Peas (or asparagus) Prosciutto and Fresh Herbs - Pasta (Eric Treuile and Anna Del Conte)

Just to warn you that I will probably be making many recipes from this book.  It is truly great,with a variety of recipes for pasta (I never tire of pasta) and the best thing is, pictures with every recipe!  Also it suggests variations of the recipes which is how I chose this recipe.

We always have peas (well petit pois to be precise) in the freezer but the recipe also suggested asparagus.  Being the height of the asparagus season we had some in the fridge, and also the herbs are starting to grow - so this recipe was a no-brainer.



Very simple to make and not much preparation needed.  Make sure you reserve some pasta water as suggested as it helps moisten the dish, otherwise it will be too dry and I suspect claggy (see my previous post of pasta with scallops - claggy pasta... not good).  I used flat leafed parsley but you can choose mint (I didn't think it would go with the asparagus but would probably go with the peas).  Also our basil was not fully established so I couldn't use it either.  Also I like parsley and find it goes well with everything.

I used fettuccine but again you can use any long pasta.  This book includes recommendations on which pasta to use which I always find useful - but you might be either more sophisticated than me and not need the advice, or you might be more independently thinking than me and might choose whatever you want!!!





My main comment about all the recipes in the book is that 500g seems a lot of pasta for four and I always have left-overs when I make that much.  I aim for 80-100g per person which always seems sufficient.  Also I am trying to stay faithful to the recipe but occasionally I use more or less of certain ingredient, especially if the item comes close to the weight required (or I am not paying attention).  Not sure how much it changes the outcome especially as I use less pasta than stated but follow the recipe for the rest of the ingredients.  So far the balance seems ok, i.e. not too much 'sauce' for the pasta. 

Also, and this might be stupid, but I "struggle" putting pasta in the pan with the sauce as per the recipe.  I did it this time but usually I chuck it in a big bowl with the sauce and mix it then.  Of course (and lets get real here) I also just put the pasta on plates and dollop the sauce on top! 

Final comment: good choice for evening meal especially if you already have most of the ingredients.

Another main course next (still put off from baking)!!

No comments:

Post a Comment