Friday 9 September 2011

Chicken and Prawn Paella - Mediterranean Escapes (Rick Stein)



This is a book that I bought having watched the TV series.  I find Rick Stein a bit patronising and snobbish which is a shame - I do want to like him more.  Nevertheless, I bought the book as I liked that the recipes come from a variety of countries and regions along the Mediterranean (a similar reason for me buying the only Jamie Oliver book I have).

Years ago I went with the other half to the Good Food Show (at Olympia I think).  As it was the other half's birthday, I bought a Rick Stein fish book and queued for him to sign it.  I decided it was less cringing and more sophisticated getting Rick Stein to sign it than the book signing queue for Ainsley Herriot (sorry Ainsley).  Of course "Rick" (Stein) is up there with "Hugh" (Fearnley-Whittingstall) for the other half (who elevates them to "one name" status) so it was worth the shame of queuing.

This is one of those books that I look through and really don't cook from (going on to pick a recipe from another book).  Not sure if I have ever cooked a recipe from it, so I committed myself to cook from the book. 
Basically the book opened on the page of this recipe and I therefore chose to make it.  As simple as that.  It helped that I like paella and also there was not a long list of ingredients.  It also gave me an excuse to use the saffron in the cupboard (that is probably long past its use by date but at that price... even when bought from Spain)!  Not only do I ask for "food" for birthday / Christmas presents, my holiday souvenirs are also "food".  And why not?

What there is, is a lot of preparation so this is not a meal I would cook after work.  As you can see not the usual amount of seafood, just uncooked prawns, though I did add squid rings at the end.

My main struggle with paella is leaving the rice alone (the opposite to risotto).  We do use a genuine paella pan and not a non-stick pan.  These two things combined mean that I always have rice stuck to the bottom.  Some people love the crispy rice bits.  I just think that means less rice on the plate. 

Even just for the three of us, I like to make meal times special at the weekend.  Not that daughter appreciates it, but life can be so drab and "same old" so it is nice to make meal times as something special, even when there is no occasion.  It also gives me an opportunity to use various napkin rings that I seem to have acquired over the years!


I have made a paella before for a dinner party, and to be honest, cooking it does interfere with the "hosting" - so up to you if you make it when you have visitors.  All things aside, this dish does look good when you place it on the table. 

From my family's perspective, my daughter likes rice, chicken and prawns so it doesn't matter how it is served.  And the other half eats what he is given!

Final thought - I miss the extras such as mussels and small prawns and I did add squid at the end.  "Rick" might call me a philistine and accuse me of ruining an authentic dish, but I say cooking is also about eating food you like... and there is nothing wrong with a bit of creativity.  Sorry Rick! 



No comments:

Post a Comment