Tuesday 6 September 2011

Tuna with Lemon and Capers - Pasta (Eric Treuile and Anna Del Conte)

You were warned that I adore this book!




This recipe is a 'no cook' and chosen as something quick and easy to make after work.  Although I usually plan the "menu" for the week ahead, I do sometimes just say "pasta" and aim to make something with whatever I have in the house.  90% of the time this does tend to variations on a tin of tomatoes.  I have however used this blog as the motivation needed to try something different - to broaden my tastebuds as well as something tasty but easy to make.  I chose this recipe not because it evoked summer time in the Med, but but because I always have tuna in the cupboard (who doesn't?) lemon in the fridge (for a well earned G&T) and capers (again in the fridge -which I sometimes add to my "variations on a tomato pasta sauce" recipe)

Best to prepare all the ingredients while the water is heating up as you throw (or toss) all the ingredients into the pasta once it is cooked (though I did this in a large bowl rather than the pot as per the recipe - I am sure it doesn't affect the taste).  To be honest, I would add sauce to the individual plates of pasta to save on the washing up, but in the interests of keeping to the recipe... and sometimes for the photo... I added the sauce and pasta together before serving it in bowls.  Also it does give the appearance of cultured family meal-times together (when reality is daughter asking if "we can eat in front room as Hollyoaks is on")!

This recipe is for four so I halved it for two which was fine as 250g of pasta is enough for three of us (two adults and a child).  I reserved some pasta water (not in the recipe) but adding this would be down to personal taste as the tuna should be in oil (mine wasn't) and there is additional olive oil added with the ingredients.



This dish was great for after work and the lemon juice and zest made it light and refreshing - lovely on a sunny evening.  Also the basil was finally available for me to use and other ingredients usually in the cupboard.  All in all very quick and easy to make and enjoyed.  I suspect this will become an 'after work' regular.

No comments:

Post a Comment