Friday 23 September 2011

minted leg of lamb - Living etc Magazine (July - I think)

I know that this blog about me cooking from my existing collection of cookery books, but on this occasion I have selected a recipe from "Living etc" magazine.  I can justify this because I subscribe to the magazine so in theory, it can be included in my collection of recipe books.  And lets face it, a change from me cooking pasta from the same Pasta book!

One thing I notice (about myself anyway) is that despite the mouthwatering pictures and recipes in magazines, and all the useful information about how easy / difficult to prepare and also nutritional information, I still rarely cook from recipes in magazines.

As it was a sunny Sunday, and to date I have excluded Sunday meals (as I tend to have some sort of a roast dinner) I thought this recipe looked perfect:
- new recipe
- suitable for a Sunday dinner
- Seasonal (i.e. I had the mint growing in the garden)

This recipe included marinated the leg of lamb and also making a mint sauce.


I love lamb.  I usually make some sort of North African type tagine with any left-overs.

I especially love "chef's prerogative", i.e. eating scraps of particularly tasty looking bits of meat (for a taste test of course)!

The potatoes, carrots and broccoli were from the allotment, so cheap 'n' tasty.  Think I miss gravy.  I can have gravy all year round, whatever the weather!!

The mint sauce looks messy and was quite vinegary. 

Would I make this again? No not really.  I don't the mint roasts well as a coating to the lamb, even though you do "score" the meat.  It is not the same as piercing the joint and stuffing garlic and rosemary into the holes. And I really miss gravy!  But it was a new recipe and it did make a change!

No comments:

Post a Comment