Monday 3 October 2011

Autumnal Sunday Lunch... in Summer!! - From "One Pot Suppers"

I am trying to reduce the amount of food shopping for a number of reasons.  Like many people in the Western world, I have a stock of food in tins, jar and packets that never seem to get used - which end up being wasted.  We (and by that I mean A) grows veg on the allotment so again, trying not to waste food so finding recipes that use what we (A) grow.  Also, I am trying to be more budget conscious as no jobs are safe and one day I might find myself unemployed so like the Girl Guides, I like to be prepared.

The last Sunday in August, Grandma coming over, bank holiday weekend (am bit behind on my blogging) - surely time for a lovely Summer meal on a Sunday?  Well it would be if the weather had been nicer! Not feeling particularly inspired I decided on braised lamb shanks with garlic mash - a very autumnal menu but...

The recipe is from a book that I got as a Christmas present as I had recently bought a slow cooker.  And I (or you) needed a break from my regular dive into the "Pasta" book. 



The only thing I had to buy were the lamb shanks from butchers (trying to reduce reliance on, and my hard earned money going to the supermarkets).  The herbs, red onion and garlic are home grown - haven't costed them but again, like the idea of not relying on the supermarket (although should I feel guilty about depriving the local greengrocers)!?  As you can see I am combining frugality as well as my dislike of the power of the supermarkets.







Lots of pictures of the fresh ingredients (to show my gratitude to A).



Be prepared for lots of chopping but once done, the most arduous bit of the recipe out of the way.



I must admit I usually skip the marinated bit in recipes (usually because I have not read the recipe properly and left it too late).  In the interests of this professional blog(!) I followed the recipe and I marinated!

Scraps and peelings stored for the compost bin  Green too!

Then I went to the gym (I go to the gym so that I can eat!). When I got back, although slightly less than the two hours stated, I browned the meat then added the wine and stock (used beef Oxo as that is what I had in the cupboard).  I used twice the amount of stock as quoted in the recipe as I cooked it in the oven instead of the slow cooker (which is supposed to need less liquid).

Once in the oven, I cooked at 125oC then down to 100oC.  The recipe is actually for the slow cooker so I did guess what temperature to cook at.  Cooked for six hours but the meat was so tender and fell off the bone.  Think I should have cooked it at the lower temperature from the start though.

While it was cooking we went to "Harrow in Leaf" show and looked at all the displays of fruit, veg, flowers and crafts that seems from bygone era but still going strong(ish) today.  Surprisingly very strict rules for competitors to comply with.

Keeping with the frugal theme, I made apple and raspberry crumble - all the fruit from the garden.  And the crumble, again all ingredients already in the cupboard.  I do not usually "do" desserts but crumble is so easy!

Once prepared I kept the crumble in the fridge and finished getting the dinner ready.  Veg (string beans and carrots) were all from allotment.  Although we have been growing new potatoes, this dish really suits mash potatoes so I made garlic mash (from a Delia recipe).  Lets face it, it was not a hot, sunny day so mash potatoes it was to be (or is it only me who thinks mash potatoes are not summer weather food)?

I have to say that this was not a typical Sunday!  I might manage the gym and cooking dinner, or a trip out and cooking dinner, but not all three!  And as for making pudding.... it is only because I don't want to waste the cooking apples growing in the garden.  Luckily it was still school holidays otherwise I would have had to cram my daughter's homework into the day too.  And luckily it was a bank holiday so I had an extra day to do the ironing!

When ready to eat, I took the pot out from the oven, and took the lamb out of the pot and kept the meat warm while finishing off the sauce / gravy.  Where I went different to the recipe was to add cornflour to the liquid to thicken it. 

This is such a good way to cook lamb shanks and relatively cheap.  Also good for dinner parties but I am not sure if it is starting to be a bit of a dated recipe (regularly appears on pub menus)... but so what, they are quite cheap, tastes good and is easy to make (even if you didn't bother with the marinade).  We didn't use up all the sauce so I froze what was left as I am sure I will find a use for it with another meal.

I forgot to take pictures of the dinner. But it was delicious!

A picture of the garden instead!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment